Wednesday, August 23, 2017

The Daily Grace - Contentment




A poet once wrote: "As a rule, man's a fool. When it's hot, he wants it cool. And when it's cool, he wants it hot. Always wanting what is not".

What an insightful observation on human nature! So when we read in Philippians 4:11, "I have learned in whatever state I am, to be content" we wonder, can this be possible? For Paul it was. Philippians 4:12-13 describes Paul's response to life. "I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do everything through Him who gives me strength".

Paul's relationship with God superseded whatever he did or did not have. His contentment was not based on his circumstances, but on his relationship with Christ. Paul reminds us that contentment doesn't happen overnight. It's something that we learn. As our relationship with God develops over time and through experiences, we learn to trust God more and ourselves less. Paul knew that Christ would give him the strength to persevere in whatever situation he encountered (v. 13). No matter what you're facing today, through prayer you can receive the strength to be content. We find contentment at the same place we find salvation - in Christ.

1 comment: