Thursday, August 3, 2017

The Daily Grace - The Unknown Giver




I don't know about you, but I tend to enjoy getting credit when I do stuff for others. And, I don't think I'm alone in appreciating thank you cards and words of gratitude. I also know, however, that there's something to be said for anonymity. This must be a good way to give, because Jesus endorsed it.

That's why, I was impressed with a gift that arrived anonymously on our front porch one day. We had been out of town; and when we returned, there stood several flower pots - each holding a blooming sunflower. We knew the reason - they were left on our doorstep on the birthday of our late daughter, Melissa, who loved sunflowers. Someone was telling us, "We remember Mell". By giving anonymously, they focused completely on our family rather than on themselves.

Imagine a world in which we all gave generously and selflessly. Jesus mentioned secret giving in Matthew 6. He said, "When you do a charitable deed, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, that your charitable deed may be in secret" (vv. 3-4). Realistically, we can't always give anonymously. But our giving should always be marked with the same spirit of selfless humility and God-directed charity. Self-sacrifice is the true measure of our giving.

5 comments: