Saturday, October 28, 2017

The Daily Grace - Shadowed




Someone was shadowing me. In a darkened hallway, I turned the corner to go up a flight of stairs and was alarmed by what I saw, stopping the dead in my tracks. It happened again a few days later. I came around the back of a favorite coffee shop and saw the large shape of a person coming at me. Bot incidents ended with a smile, however. I'd been frightened by my own shadow!

The prophet Jeremiah talked about the difference beween real and imagined fears. A group of his Jewish countrymen asked him to find out whether the Lord wanted them to stay in Jerusalem or return to Egypt for safety because they feared the king of Babylon (Jer. 42:1-3). Jeremiah told them that if they stayed and trusted God, they didn't need to be afraid (vv. 10-12). But if they returned to Egypt, the king of Babylon would find them (vv. 15-16).

In a world of real dangers, God had given Israel to reason to trust Him in Jerusalem. He had already rescued them from Egypt. Centuries later, the long-awaited Messiah died for us to deliver us from our own sin and fear of death. May our Almighty God show us today how to live in the security of His shadow, rather than in shadowy fears of our own making. Under the protecting shadow of God's wing, the little shadows of life lose their terror.

5 comments: