Thursday, January 11, 2018

The Daily Grace - Finishers


When I was a kid, I dreamed of becoming a black belt in karate. Several years ago, I began training and came close to fulfilling that goal. However, two belts away from my goal, I quit. There were two reasons - my teacher changed styles in the middle of my training, and I got so busy that I could not devote adequate time for training.

Almost every week, I am nagged by the thought that God wants me to be a finisher in all aspects of my life - but especially in my service for Him. As Paul spoke of the conclusion of his life, he did not have any nagging thoughts of unfinished business about his ministry. In this final farewell (2 Tim. 4:7), Paul used imagery-rich words to talk about finishing his service for Christ. He described his life and ministry in terms of a fight: "I have fought the good fight". The fight was good because he had engaged in it for God and the gospel. Then he used the imagery of a race as synonymous with his ministry: "I have finished the race, I have kept the faith". Paul affirmed that by God's grace he had finished all that God had given him to do.

As followers of Jesus, let us strive to be finishers, persevering in our service for Jesus Christ. Run the race with eternity in view. For every follower of Christ, there is a race to run. And when we cross the finish line, we'll be with Christ, God's Son.

3 comments: