Wednesday, June 28, 2017

The Daily Grace - God Has Time For You



Historian Cassius Dio recorded a revealing event from the life of Hadrian, the Roman Emperor from AD 117-138: "Once, when a woman made a request of [Hadrian] as he passed by on a journey, he at first said to her, 'I haven't time', but afterwards, when she cried out, 'Cease, then, being emperor', he turned about and granted her a hearing". 

How often we say or hear, "Not now, I'm busy" or "I'm sorry, but I just don't have time". Yet, our Heavenly Father, the Master and Creator of everything, always has time for us. The psalmist wrote: "The eyes of the Lord are on the righteous, and His ears are open to their cry. . . The righteous cry out, and the Lord hears, and delivers them out of all their troubles" (Ps. 34:15-17). 

God is not like the emperor or a busy executive who tries to avoid interruption. Instead, the Father's joy is to listen and respond to His children. "The Lord is near to those who have a broken heart, and saves such as have a contrite spirit" (Ps. 34:18). Hadrian's afterthought was, "I must take time for my subjects". God's first thought is, "I always have time for those who come to Me". Whenever we need to talk, the Lord is ready to listen. God is never too busy to listen to His children.


6 comments: