Tuesday, June 27, 2017

The Daily Grace - God's Devotion



In 1826, the British author Thomas Carlyle married Jane Welsh, who also was an accomplished writer. She dedicated herself to his success and served him wholeheartedly. Because of a stomach ailment and a nervous disorder, he had a rather ornery temperament. So she made special meals for him and tried to keep the house as quiet as possible so he could do his writing.

Thomas didn't often recognize Jane's helpful spirit nor did he spend much time with her. However, he wrote this about her to his mother: "I may say in my heart that she. . . loves me with a devotedness which is a mystery to me how I have ever deserved. She. . . looks with such soft cheerfulness into my gloomy countenance, that new hope passed into me every time I met her eye".


We too have Someone who loves us with a devotedness that is a mystery how we as sinners ever deserved it! He is God the Father, "who did not spare His own Son, but delivered Him up for us all" (Rom. 8:32). His love is wide, long, deep and high and exceeds our knowledge (Eph. 3:18-19). Understanding and appreciating God's love is so vital hat Paul prayed for the Ephesians to be "rooted and grounded" in it (Eph. 3:17). May that be our experience as well. There is no greater joy than to know God loves you.

5 comments: