Saturday, November 18, 2017

The Daily Grace - Goodbye


When Max Lucado participated in a half-Ironman triathlon, he experienced the negative power of complaint. He said, "After the 1.2-mile swim and the 56-mile bike ride, I didn't have much energy left for the 13.1-mile run. Neither did the fellow jogging next to me. He said, 'This stinks. This race is the dumbest decision I've ever made;. I said, 'Goodbye' ". Max knew that if he listened too long, he would start agreeing with him. So he said goodbye and kept running.

Among the Israelites, too many people listened too long to complaints and began to agree with them. This displeased God, and for good reason. God had delivered the Israelites from slavery, and agreed to live in their midst, but they still complained. Beyond the hardship of the desert, they were dissatisfied with God's provision of manna. In their complaint, Israel forgot that the manna was a gift to them from God's loving hand (Num. 11:6). Because complaining poisons the heart with ingratitude and can be a contagion, God had to judge it. This is a sure way to say "goodbye" to complaining and ingratitude: Each day, let's rehearse the faithfulness and goodness of God to us. Proclaiming God's faithfulness silences discontentment.

2 comments:

  1. Yes so true, we need to be careful who we listen to and who we hang out with cos negativity pollutes & is contagious . I can be negative & ungrateful very easy all by myself ' I don't need anyone helping me with that one!!

    ReplyDelete