Wednesday, May 24, 2017

The Daily Grace - Pace Yourself




Not long ago I developed a physical problem. My left shoulders and arm were aching. I had a painful rash on my forearm and thumb, and I struggled daily with fatigue. When I finally went to do the doctor, I learned that I had a case of shingles. The doctor put me on antiviral medication and said it would take several weeks for the disease to run its course. Because of this illness, I had to force myself into a new routine. A short nap in the morning and one in the afternoon were necessary to give me the strength to be productive. Until I recovered, I had to learn to pace myself.

At one point when Jesus sent His representatives out to teach in His name, they were so excited with all they were doing that they neglected to take time to eat and rest properly. When they returned, Christ told them: "Come aside by yourselves to a deserted place and rest a while" (Mark 6:31). Everyone needs rest, and if we go too long without it, we will suffer physically and emotionally. We also will be unable to carry out our responsibilities as well as we should.

Is the Lord encouraging you to "come aside. . . and rest a while"? Sometimes a few more rest stops with Him may be necessary. To avoid a breakdown, take a break for rest and prayer. The Lord is also encouraging us to rest.

3 comments: