Thursday, March 15, 2018

The Daily Grace - Heart Food


I love food! I love to see it beautifully presented, and I love to savor the taste. If it were up to me, I would eat more often than I should - although it wouldn't help my waistline! So, it's a good thing my mother knows when to lovingly remind me to eat healthful foods in the right amount.

Reading Jeremiah's interesting thought - that when he found the words of God (even the words of God's judgment) he "ate them" (Jer. 15:16) - makes me wonder if I ingest God's Word as eagerly, as lovingly, and as often. Clearly, Jeremiah did not actually eat God's Word. It was his way of saying that he read and savored it in his innermost being. And that's exactly where God's Word is intended to go. 

The Word is heart food! When we ingest it, the Holy Spirit provides the power to help us grow to be more like Jesus. His Word transforms how we think about God, money, enemies, careers, and family. In other words, it's really good for us. So, "eat" God's Word to your heart's content! No doubt you will find yourself agreeing with the prophet Jeremiah when he said: "Your word was to me the joy and rejoicing of my heart" (15:16). The more you feast on God's Word, the healthier you will become.

3 comments: