Thursday, March 1, 2018

The Daily Grace - Jesus' Love For All




It was a bit unusual, but three times in one day I heard the same song. In the early afternoon, I attended a hymnsing at a  home for the elderly. As part of her prayer at the end of our time together, Willie, one of the residents, said, "Sing with me, 'Jesus Loves Me'." In the evening, I attended a gathering with young people who sang it while pounding out the beat with their hands and feet. Later that evening, I received a text message on my phone with an audio recording of my 2 1/12-year-old niece with a sweet little voice, singing, "I am weak, but He is strong". People in their nineties, teenagers, and a toddler all sang that song that day.

After hearing that simple song three times, I began to think the Lord might be telling me something. Actually, He gave us all this message long ago: "I love you". In John 19, He allowed people to put a crown of thorns on His head, mock Him, strike Him, strip Him and crucify him (vv. 1-6). He had the power to stop them, but He said very little (v. 11). He did it all for love's sake to pay for our sins and to rescue us from punishment.

How much does God love us? Jesus spread out His arms and was nailed to the cross. He died for us, then rose again. That's a precious fact for young and old. "The truest measure of God's love is that He loves without measure!", as Bernard of Clairvux said.

1 comment: